An insect bite (such as a Bee or Wasp sting) requires exposure to relevant insects, thus, stings occur most commonly when your pet has been exploring in the park, your backyard, or even within your own home. Stings will occur more commonly on thinly furred areas, such as the face and paws. However, this does not mean that they cannot be affected elsewhere.
Insect bites will usually have both an allergic and toxic (poisoning) component. Symptoms of insect bites are quite variable; sometimes a sting will be inconsequential and you may not even notice that it has occurred while other times there may be a severe inflammatory reactions causing critical disease and even death.
Symptoms that may be attributed to stings can include: irritability, restlessness, itchy skin (especially face, paws and eyes), pain, swelling, redness, heat, wheals, vomiting, defecation, diarrhea, urination, salivation, weakness, collapse, seizures, increased breathe noises and difficulty breathing.
Usually if your pet has reacted badly to a sting in the past then they are likely to react in the same way, if not worse, in the future.
If your pet has any of the above listed symptoms, unexplained inflammation, or inflammation that you suspect may be attributed to insect bites, please seek veterinary advice immediately.
Animal Accident & Emergency is open 24 hours, 7 days a week at Essendon and Point Cook.
Always Open – We Always Care