24 hour Pet Hospital, 24 hour vet, 24 hour vet Melbourne, 24/7 Vet, 24hr Vet, Animal Accident Emergency, Animal Care, Animal Emergency, Animal Hospital, Animal Hospital Melbourne, Animal Services, Dog, Dog tips, Emergency Vet, Melbourne, Melbourne Animal Hospital, Pet, Pet Advice, Pet Care, Pet Emergency, Pet Emergency Centre, Pet emergency melbourne, Uncategorized, Vet, veterinarian

Valentines Day Chocolate Toxicity Warning

Valenties Chocolate Toxity Warning

***Valentines Day Chocolate Toxicity Warning***

Valentine’s Day is a time to spoil our beloveds, woo our secret lovers, and remember to call our mothers which means that Melbourne households will be filling up with chocolate. We are asking all pet owners to be cautious of chocolate around your pets especially this weekend.

Older pets, or animals with pre-existing heart conditions, are more susceptible to the effects of chocolate poisoning and at higher risk of sudden death due to cardiac arrest.

The common clinical signs of chocolate poisoning are:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • increased thirst
  • panting or restlessness
  • excessive urination
  • muscle spasms and tremors
  • seizures
  • increased temperature
  • increased heart rate
  • abnormal behaviour

 

Chocolate Toxity Emergency Vet Centre Melbourne

Why Chocolate is dangerous to pets:

Cooking/baking chocolate and dark chocolate pose the biggest danger, as they contain the largest concentration of theobromine. A 10kg dog would only have to eat 50 grams of milk chocolate to show clinical signs of chocolate toxicity or as little as 30 grams of dark chocolate. Whereas a mere 15 grams of baking chocolate (containing 70% cocoa) could lead to chocolate toxicity. Keep in mind that if the chocolate contains other harmful ingredients such as raisins/sultanas, alcohol or macadamia nuts then it may cause further complications.

It contains the alkaloid theobromine, which has similar effects as caffeine and is poisonous in large amounts. The toxicity level of the chocolate depends on the type and amount that is consumed, as well as the size of the dog. Toxic doses are generally considered to be 100mg of theobromine per kilogram of body weight, with fatal doses often occurring at over 200mg per kilogram.

Ingestion of chocolate in dogs does often lead to significant illness and so should be taken seriously by pet owners and treated as an animal emergency. As with all things, it’s better to be safe than sorry, so if you believe your dog has ingested any amount of chocolate you should immediately consult an emergency veterinarian and bring it in for examination at a 24 hour animal emergency centre.

Essendon Fields: (03) 9379 0700

Point Cook: (03) 8368 7400

Animal Accident  Emergency Logo 2013

www.animalemergency.com.au

Advertisements
Standard
24 hour Pet Hospital, 24 hour vet, 24 hour vet Melbourne, 24/7 Vet, 24hr Vet, Animal Accident Emergency, Animal Care, Animal Emergency, Animal Hospital, Animal Hospital Melbourne, Animal Services, Australia, Cat, Dog, Dogs, Emergency Vet, Melbourne, Melbourne Animal Hospital, Pet, Pet Advice, Pet Care, Pet Emergency, Pet Emergency Centre, Pet emergency melbourne, Uncategorized, Vet, veterinarian

Chinaberry Tree Toxicity: Emergency Vet Care

This is the adorable Twiggy, a 7 month old Dachshund puppy who has received emergency veterinary care by Dr Jina Song for Chinaberry toxicity.

The Chinaberry tree is also know as White Cedar tree or “Melia Azedarach” and is highly toxic.

Twiggy presented at our Point Cook 24hr Pet Emergency Centre suffering an acute onset of vomiting.

Twiggy was most fortunate as her carers saw her eating the berries and rushed her to our centre. Her treatment was successful although she is continuing treatment due to expected complications from stomach insults from her ordeal.

The entire tree is toxic (bark, leaves and flowers) with higher toxin amounts in the berries.

Once eaten, your pet will quickly show varying signs:
– vomiting,
– tremors,
– seizures,
– diarrhoea,
– weakness,
– death (which can occur within 24 hours)

The fruit is highly toxic to animals and people, most likely causing death from kidney, liver failure and central nervous system problems.

If your pet ingests these berries please contact your veterinarian or one of our 24hr Pet Emergency Centres immediately.

Essendon Fields‬: (03) 9379 0700
Point Cook‬: (03) 8368 7400

Animal Accident  Emergency Logo 2013

www.animalemergency.com.au


Standard
24 hour Pet Hospital, 24/7 Vet, 24hr Vet, Animal Accident Emergency, Animal Emergency, Animal Hospital, Animal Hospital Melbourne, Dog, Dogs, Emergency Vet, Pet, Pet Advice, Pet Care, Pet Emergency, Pet First Aid, Vet

No more dog bones for Pepper

Pepper, 5 year old West Highland Terrier

Pepper, 5 year old West Highland Terrier

Pepper is a sweet 5 year old West Highland Terrier dog who had been seen at AAE on previous occasions for oesophageal foreign body (caused by bone ingestion).

Last Thursday night, Pepper’s owner noticed she wasn’t herself when Pepper jumped on their bed in the middle of night. Pepper was shaking so her owners brought her in to our Essendon Fields Pet Emergency Centre.

Pepper had managed to steal 3 large marrow bones from her house mate. She developed severe abdominal pain after eating the bone.

Pepper’s pain was severe enough that her pain relief medication had to be escalated requiring a combination of 3 different pain relief medications to keep her severe pain under control.

It took 4 days for Peppers abdominal pain to resolve.

Pepper has now gone home with her caring owners and is on a strict low fat diet.

Pepper was a very sweet patient and the staff at Animal Accident & Emergency wish her a speedy recovery.

Pepper taking her morning walk at Essendon Fields.

Pepper taking her morning walk at Essendon Fields.

 

Animal Accident  Emergency Logo 2013

www.animalemergency.com.au

 

 

 

Standard