24 hour Pet Hospital, 24 hour vet, 24 hour vet Melbourne, 24/7 Vet, 24hr Vet, Animal Accident Emergency, Animal Care, Animal Emergency, Animal Hospital, Animal Hospital Melbourne, Animal Services, Dog, Dog tips, Emergency Vet, Melbourne, Melbourne Animal Hospital, Pet, Pet Advice, Pet Care, Pet Emergency, Pet Emergency Centre, Pet emergency melbourne, Uncategorized, Vet, veterinarian

Valentines Day Chocolate Toxicity Warning

Valenties Chocolate Toxity Warning

***Valentines Day Chocolate Toxicity Warning***

Valentine’s Day is a time to spoil our beloveds, woo our secret lovers, and remember to call our mothers which means that Melbourne households will be filling up with chocolate. We are asking all pet owners to be cautious of chocolate around your pets especially this weekend.

Older pets, or animals with pre-existing heart conditions, are more susceptible to the effects of chocolate poisoning and at higher risk of sudden death due to cardiac arrest.

The common clinical signs of chocolate poisoning are:

  • vomiting
  • diarrhoea
  • increased thirst
  • panting or restlessness
  • excessive urination
  • muscle spasms and tremors
  • seizures
  • increased temperature
  • increased heart rate
  • abnormal behaviour

 

Chocolate Toxity Emergency Vet Centre Melbourne

Why Chocolate is dangerous to pets:

Cooking/baking chocolate and dark chocolate pose the biggest danger, as they contain the largest concentration of theobromine. A 10kg dog would only have to eat 50 grams of milk chocolate to show clinical signs of chocolate toxicity or as little as 30 grams of dark chocolate. Whereas a mere 15 grams of baking chocolate (containing 70% cocoa) could lead to chocolate toxicity. Keep in mind that if the chocolate contains other harmful ingredients such as raisins/sultanas, alcohol or macadamia nuts then it may cause further complications.

It contains the alkaloid theobromine, which has similar effects as caffeine and is poisonous in large amounts. The toxicity level of the chocolate depends on the type and amount that is consumed, as well as the size of the dog. Toxic doses are generally considered to be 100mg of theobromine per kilogram of body weight, with fatal doses often occurring at over 200mg per kilogram.

Ingestion of chocolate in dogs does often lead to significant illness and so should be taken seriously by pet owners and treated as an animal emergency. As with all things, it’s better to be safe than sorry, so if you believe your dog has ingested any amount of chocolate you should immediately consult an emergency veterinarian and bring it in for examination at a 24 hour animal emergency centre.

Essendon Fields: (03) 9379 0700

Point Cook: (03) 8368 7400

Animal Accident  Emergency Logo 2013

www.animalemergency.com.au

Standard
Australia Day Dog at the Beach 24 Hour Vet Emergency Melbourne
24 hour Pet Hospital, 24 hour vet, 24 hour vet Melbourne, 24/7 Vet, 24hr Vet, Animal Accident Emergency, Animal Care, Animal Emergency, Animal Hospital, Australia, Cat, Dog, Dogs, Emergency Vet, Melbourne, Melbourne city, Pet, Pet Advice, Pet Care, Pet Emergency, Pet Emergency Centre, Uncategorized, Vet, Victoria

Vet OPEN Australia Day

There’s nothing like celebrating AUSTRALIA DAY!

OPENING HOURS FOR AUSTRALIA DAY

Animal Accident & Emergency will be OPEN 24/7 on Australia Day, Tuesday 26th January 2016.

We have two Pet Emergency Centres in Melbourne which will be OPEN 24 hours should you need us:

Essendon Fields: (03) 9379 0700
Point Cook: (03) 8368 7400

 

Animal Accident  Emergency Logo 2013

www.animalemergency.com.au

Standard
24 Hour Vet Care Melbourne
24 hour Pet Hospital, 24 hour vet, 24 hour vet Melbourne, 24/7 Vet, 24hr Vet, Animal Accident Emergency, Animal Care, Animal Emergency, Animal Hospital, Animal Hospital Melbourne, Animal Services, Australia, Cat, Cat tips, Dog, Dog tips, Dogs, Melbourne, Melbourne Animal Hospital, Melbourne city, Pet, Pet Advice, Pet Care, Pet Emergency, Pet Emergency Centre, Pet emergency melbourne, Uncategorized, Vet, veterinarian

Veterinarian OPEN Public Holidays

Chihuahua Vet Emergency

24 Hour Vet Care Melbourne

Animal Accident and Emergency (AAE) is a purpose-built animal emergency centre servicing Melbourne.  It provides 24-hour animal emergency services.  There are two great locations – Essendon and Point Cook.  The centres are located to provide direct and easy freeway access.  Time is precious in any emergency.

Our Melbourne Vet Emergency Centres provide dedicated emergency care 24/7.  We are not just an after hours vet clinic.  Our whole focus is emergency and critical care.

If you have a Veterinarian emergency please contact one of our 24 Hour Pet Emergency Centres in Melbourne:

Essendon Fields (03) 9379 0700

Point Cook (03) 8368 7400

Animal Accident  Emergency Logo 2013

www.animalemergency.com.au

Standard
24 hour Pet Hospital, 24 hour vet, 24 hour vet Melbourne, 24/7 Vet, 24hr Vet, Animal Accident Emergency, Animal Care, Animal Emergency, Animal Hospital, Animal Hospital Melbourne, Animal Services, Australia, Cat, Cat tips, Dog, Dog tips, Dogs, Emergency Vet, Melbourne Animal Hospital, Pet, Pet Advice, Pet Emergency, Pet Emergency Centre, Pet emergency melbourne, Uncategorized, Vet

Is Your Pet Ready for New Years Eve?

Emergency vet lost pet microchipped.jpg

Celebrating New Year’s Eve is a great tradition but it is one of our busiest nights for lost/stray pets.

Is Your Pet Ready for New Years Eve:
1. Have you microchipped your pet?
2. Are they wearing a collar ID tag?
3. Are your contact details are up-to-date with the National Pet Register?

By doing these 3 things it will give you and your pet the best chance of being reunited in the event they become lost.

***Important Numbers***
National Pet Register can be contacted 24/7 on 1300 734 738
Lost Dogs Home can be contacted (03) 9329 2755

 

Essendon Fields: (03) 9379 0700

Point Cook: (03) 8368 7400

Animal Accident  Emergency Logo 2013

www.animalemergency.com.au

 

Standard
24 hour Pet Hospital, 24 hour vet, 24 hour vet Melbourne, 24/7 Vet, 24hr Vet, Animal Accident Emergency, Animal Emergency, Animal Hospital, Emergency Vet, Melbourne Animal Hospital, Pet Emergency, Pet Emergency Centre, Pet emergency melbourne, Uncategorized, Vet

**Snake Warning As Weather Warms Up in Melbourne** – Vet Care

Brown Snake

**Snake Warning As Weather Warms Up in Melbourne**

With the weather warming up, Snakes are now emerging from hibernation and becoming active.

If you are out walking your pets you should keep an eye on your dog and avoid walking in long grass.

The common signs of Snake bite include pets who suddenly start vomiting, having trouble walking, urinating blood, collapsing.

If you think that your pet may have been bitten, then you need to take them to your local vet or to one of our

24 hour Pet Emergency Centres as they need to be seen as soon as possible!!

 

Essendon Fields: (03) 9379 0700
Point Cook: (03) 8368 7400

Animal Accident  Emergency Logo 2013

www.animalemergency.com.au

Standard
Twigg Emergency Vet Care Melbourne 24hr Pet Centre
24 hour Pet Hospital, 24 hour vet, 24 hour vet Melbourne, 24/7 Vet, 24hr Vet, Animal Accident Emergency, Animal Care, Animal Emergency, Animal Hospital, Animal Hospital Melbourne, Animal Services, Australia, Cat, Dog, Dogs, Emergency Vet, Melbourne, Melbourne Animal Hospital, Pet, Pet Advice, Pet Care, Pet Emergency, Pet Emergency Centre, Pet emergency melbourne, Uncategorized, Vet, veterinarian

Chinaberry Tree Toxicity: Emergency Vet Care

This is the adorable Twiggy, a 7 month old Dachshund puppy who has received emergency veterinary care by Dr Jina Song for Chinaberry toxicity.

The Chinaberry tree is also know as White Cedar tree or “Melia Azedarach” and is highly toxic.

Twiggy presented at our Point Cook 24hr Pet Emergency Centre suffering an acute onset of vomiting.

Twiggy was most fortunate as her carers saw her eating the berries and rushed her to our centre. Her treatment was successful although she is continuing treatment due to expected complications from stomach insults from her ordeal.

The entire tree is toxic (bark, leaves and flowers) with higher toxin amounts in the berries.

Once eaten, your pet will quickly show varying signs:
– vomiting,
– tremors,
– seizures,
– diarrhoea,
– weakness,
– death (which can occur within 24 hours)

The fruit is highly toxic to animals and people, most likely causing death from kidney, liver failure and central nervous system problems.

If your pet ingests these berries please contact your veterinarian or one of our 24hr Pet Emergency Centres immediately.

Essendon Fields‬: (03) 9379 0700
Point Cook‬: (03) 8368 7400

Animal Accident  Emergency Logo 2013

www.animalemergency.com.au


Standard