Here’s how to keep your pet safe and healthy over the festive season:
Christmas decorations, Tinsel & flashing lights
Dogs & Cat’s love tinsel, bubbles, flashing lights they see it as a “toy” to play with or carry in their mouths. But a nibble can lead to a swallow and hence lead to an obstructed digestive tract, severe vomiting, dehydration and possible surgery.
Safety tips for pets:
- make sure your Christmas tree is safely secured to the ground and cannot easily topple.
- put decorations up high where your pets can’t get them.
- use a mixture of lemon or orange extract and water in a spray bottle. (Most cats and dogs do not like citrus and will avoid).
- edible treats on your Christmas tree such as candy canes or chocolate may be attractive to your pet and harmful if consumed.
In the event of an emergency on Christmas Day, call AAE After Hours Emergency Veterinary Hospital on:
(03) 9379 0700 – Essendon Fields
(03) 8368 7400 – Point Cook
Animal Accident & Emergency is open 24 hours 7 days a week, Melbourne Pet Emergency Centre.