24 hour Pet Hospital, 24hr Vet, Animal Emergency, Animal Hospital, Cat, Dog, Emergency Vet, Pet, Pet Advice, Pet Care, Pet Emergency, Pet emergency melbourne, severe allergic reaction, Uncategorized, Vet, veterinarian

Paracetamol Poisonong in Pets – Acetominophen

Paracetamol is a common household pain medication and is known by several names.  Panadol or Acetominophen are just a couple.  The linked article below from the  Pet Health Network  describes the toxic effects and dangers.  In our Melbourne 24 Hr Pet Emergency Centres and Animal Hospitals, we treat paracetamol toxicities.  Both our emergency centres carry the medications to help the liver detoxify the pain relief medications.

http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/pet-health/acetaminophen-toxicity-dogs-and-cats

Acetaminophen toxicity in dogs and cats

We hate to see our pets in pain, but can be dangerous to give our furry friends human medication

Posted April 17, 2012 in Pet Health

Overview and Risk When your pet is in obvious discomfort, it can be tempting to give him or her a pain reliever like Tylenol®.  However, although it works when you yourself are in pain, it can be fatal to your pet.

The active ingredient in Tylenol® and other commonly used over-the-counter medications, such as Percocet®, aspirin-free Excedrin®, and various sinus, cold, and flu medications, is acetaminophen. Pets most commonly receive toxic amounts of acetaminophen because owners medicate them without first consulting a veterinarian. Pets have also been known to consume tablets that are dropped on the floor or left lying around.  While dogs are more often exposed to acetaminophen, cats are much more sensitive to this drug than dogs and a single regular strength tablet can be fatal.

Symptoms The effects of acetaminophen poisoning are very serious, often causing permanent liver damage with fatal consequences. The most common signs that you may notice in pets suffering from acetaminophen toxicity include:

  • Brownish-gray or “muddy” colored gums, tongue or mucous membranes
  • Labored and rapid breathing
  • Swollen face, neck or limbs
  • Hypothermia (reduced body temperature)
  • Vomiting
  • Jaundice (yellowish color to skin, whites of eyes) due to liver damage
  • Lethargy, seizures and coma

Diagnosis and Treatment If you believe that your pet has ingested acetaminophen, seek emergency veterinary attention immediately. Your veterinarian will perform a chemical blood profile, a complete blood count, and a urinalysis to determine the level of toxicity so that a potential treatment can be prescribed.

In order for treatment to be successful, it needs to be immediate and intensive. Treatment may include intravenous fluid therapy, oxygen support and/or medications to reduce the effects of the acetaminophen and treat any damage that has been done.  Your pet will may be hospitalized for ongoing supportive treatment and to monitor the long-term effects, especially liver damage.

Prevention Pet owners should never attempt to diagnose and treat their pets with human medication, and should take precautions to keep household medications out of their pet’s reach to avoid a potentially harmful or fatal reaction. Never use human medications with your pet unless specially directed by your veterinarian

– See more at: http://www.pethealthnetwork.com/pet-health/acetaminophen-toxicity-dogs-and-cats#sthash.qsntluFi.dpuf

Advertisements
Standard

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s