Uncategorized

A Big Weekend for Charlie

Treatment for Ethylene Glycol Poisoning in Pets
An overdose of Ethylene Glycol only has one cure – lots of Vodka

Animal Accident & Emergency

AAE Charlie Vodka

This has to be one of the most unusual situations, but this weekend we treated   Charlie for Ethylene Glycol Poisoning.  Ethylene Glycol is a product found commonly in anti – freeze solution.  It is very common in radiator and brake fluids.  The product is usually a bright green colour and is very sweet.  When ingested (even tiny amounts), it causes kidney failure.  Death can occur within a day or so of ingestion.

Initially, pets will look a bit “drunk” or may have some vomiting.  This occurs within an hour or so of ingestion.  The toxin is then broken down in the liver and form a more deadly kidney toxin.

In Australia, the only antidote we have is alcohol.  Alcohol alters the chemical reaction and stops the kidney failure from occurring.  It is important that we treat these pets as soon as possible after ingestion.  For most pets, a couple of…

View original post 125 more words

Advertisements
Standard

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s