As all dog owners know, our dogs love to chew anything and everything. When they are puppies, it seems as if chewing toys, bones, socks or anything around the house is just a normal occurrence. However, sometimes our puppies and/or older dogs swallow something that just doesn’t go down as it should and can be potentially dangerous. It’s important to find out immediately what your dog has ingested.
Signs that your dog might have swallowed a something foreign
- Sudden onset of choking that affects your dog’s breathing should be dealt with urgently.
- Signs of intestinal or digestive discomfort
- Vomiting and possibly diarrhea
You should next try to find out what toy or parts of a toy are and items are still around. You can then figure out what your poor dog might have swallowed to give your veterinarian a point of reference.
Your dog is choking – Pet Emergency
If your dog is choking on something, the best thing you can do is try to help your dog immediately. Choking for big dogs and small dogs are handled differently. Just as in humans, the goal is to get it out of your dog’s system immediately.
If you believe that your pet may have swallowed a bone or toy, then you need to contact us directly. We have two convenient emergency centers. Our Emergency Centres run 24Hr Intensive Care Units.
Animal Accident & Emergency – Essendon Fields 9379 0700
Animal Accident & Emergency – Point Cook 8368 7400